Friday, April 30

Ringing in the changes.

Today was rather a big day for me. It was that part of the movie where the guy in the field goes back home, lays aside his plow, and looks at the sword above his mantlepiece with a thoughtful and foreboding look (which seems strange on an actor with such nefariously plucked eyebrows). Then you get a montage, of course, and some sweeping soundtracky bits, and the credits in an unsuitable typeface before you get to see whether the story turns into him a war hero or whether it is a simple domestic anecdote set on a possibly irrelevant background.

In any case I didn't expect to be as confident as I was, walking into a prestigious university hall--sweeping staircases, high ceilings and something hideous in marble with a longwinded inscription--but for some reason I am no longer ashamed. Maybe enough time has passed? My interview went well and the director actually didn't ask for transcripts or an account of my professional publications or even an academic reference from my last institution. To tell the truth it was all rather shocking. Incidentally, I love speaking the same language and being from approximately the same culture as these people; it makes communication that much easier. Or maybe I am just older and more reckless.

Another big thing is that I believe my body to be recovering a little from the intense bouts of illness I experienced while overseas: I slept on my side last night, rather than on my back with my head propped just so to keep my swollen and clogged airway open. I slept on my side! Without taking medication! Sorry, but the world has to know. I am breathing. This is exciting.

And the last big thing (so far, today) is that I am several days closer to having my own spinning wheel. I can't even tell you how exciting that is. It is so relaxing to spin and to knit with handspun, homespun yarn. There is something very soothing about being creative and almost consistently productive, and at the same time knowing that what you are doing will be used for the good of the ones you love (quite literally to keep them warm). The act of spinning, itself, gives the same sensation as of the outward exhalation of a sigh; a relaxing, shoulder-dropping half-yawn of contentment.


My sourdough hybrid (commercial yeast as well as the natural yeast) efforts have been well rewarded. For instance, I made two loaves and only three pieces of them lasted to be day-old bread:) This makes me happy. I am more fond of the old-style sourdough without the additive of commercial yeast, but I have yet to perfect my baking of that type of bread. My cattern cakes this year will be tasty, though! I am thinking toasted walnuts and maybe some currants or raisins. Or cherries. Probably cherries.

1 comment:

Paul E.G. Lott said...

Lovely bread. Check this out!
http://www.adgame-wonderland.de/type/bayeux.php