Monday, June 2

Plans for world domination:

To console myself about the disadvantages of being such a peculiar personality, I like to imagine there are other young women who curl up with Latin workbooks and Jane Austen films on summer evenings when anything beyond the company of family and dearest friends seems overbearing. Much of the time I doubt many others of my demographic exist, but am further comforted by Ray Bradbury's astonishment at how well we conceal ourselves under floorboards and large boulders. I would have expected, though, that like would call to like some of the time at least.

Is two a number too high to call "too few"? I will say that when the three of us are together, the world might bow before us like the Venetian waiters did, and bring us extra (free) almond biscuits.

4 comments:

TREEWRIGHT said...

Too abstruse . . . who are "the three"?

Boulders and floorboards sounds a very uncomfortable place to hide.

TREEWRIGHT said...

PS. We've just ordered some of those almond biscuits + other Italian goodies from a 'faggia" somewhere or other in Italy.

Would you really want to exist in a world where YOU were the dominator ? (I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me etc).

miss rika said...

I mean, the two others who are as like me as I've ever found before--my best friend and a friend of hers; we went to Venice together. My dearest friend has blond hair the colour of wheat fields etc., her friend has red fiery hair of storybooks, and mine is very long and brown. We were somewhat of a picture together as we were not dressed like travellers and were taking our time going to places we liked. Velvet shops, expensive cafe's, and art galleries--very posh sounding, but we are all scholars and foodies and find Venice a fascinating place.

Also, no: I have trained myself to be a follower and that is what I am good at. By "world domination" I really mean being able to get all the cooking ingredients I want, using wooden bowls and good non-plastic spoons and finding the perfect spatula (a quest that has yet to be fulfilled), and not having to clean up after myself. Also books.

Gerti said...

"By "world domination" I really mean being able to get all the cooking ingredients I want, using wooden bowls and good non-plastic spoons and finding the perfect spatula (a quest that has yet to be fulfilled), and not having to clean up after myself."

Hey, I'd vote for you, and hire someone to clean up after you. Dibs on being food taster. :D Not for poisons, just for tastiness.