Tuesday, May 20

A monk snaffling pies.

I love the British Library and its willingness to allow crazy enthusiasts to use their image databases. One day I will brush up my Latin and REALLY become dangerous to the general public.

This is my favourite image that I've discovered today: a monk snaffling pies and the bowl held by a demon. The pies are traditionally shaped, though for some reason I can't yet get mine to stay in that shape without the scroll-bits on the edge at a massive proportion to the rest of the pie. Delicacy takes time, I am told.

I also find it amusing that the monk is portrayed in green, which is more expensive that a dark, brackish colour, and that for the life of me I can't figure out a logical exemplar for his stool except the human imagination and willing suspension of disbelief. This MS is one of the stories of saints' lives and it is from the first quarter of the 12th c., according to the BL. [Arundel 91, f. 190]

3 comments:

TREEWRIGHT said...

Rob Wood's got a good image of a monk having a secret tipple from the cask.

I've recently made a new friend, Ant, who's a very interesting guy. He's into chairmaking, bodging and reading the Arabian Knights in the original Arabic . . but he used to work in the British Library and told me how when they wanted to delete some of the old books, documents etc that weren't being looked at much anymore he would make sure that they stayed IN.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the structure of your blog?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.

But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it
better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 images.

Maybe you could space it out better?

Here is my page where to get loans with bad credit

Anonymous said...

What's up to every one, for the reason that I am in fact eager of reading this web site's post to be updated on a regular
basis. It carries nice stuff.

Look at my web site ... pharmacy technician salary in georgia