Monday, January 7

The sight of that empty air.

Today, the hills around my house are covered in mist, and there’s been a light rainfall all about the village since about 9. It’s cool outside, but not too cold; I expect it will be dark around 4 or 5 this afternoon and then it will be too chilly for my comfort.

This is one of the first times the cats have really gone out on a rainy day since the early fall. They come back in with a light dew on their coats as if they have managed to avoid the rain, and they smell like wood-smoke and clean earth. Their ritual naps and bathing cycles are followed by contemplation of the rain and then several deep sighs, blinking, and short conversations with me about my meagre use of the gas heater.

I’m pleased to be alone and pleased to have work to do. For the first time in ages, I am simply comfortable.

No comments: