Tuesday, October 24

A vulgar comfort.

Have finished Augustine's Confessions, am already nearly half finished with Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy, which I like very much indeed. Have also read Dante's Monarchia. Am very glad to learn that the Commedia was the answer to Dante's fuzzy Aristotelian logic about knowledge versus love being the highest perfection of our souls. I was not thinking very kind things of him.

I'm still in the same place when it comes to my other books.

But I'm having a bit of a Trouble because I am lonely. Or something. I don't know that I necessarily want to be with people; I think I just want to be comforted.

Not that real comfort that gives you courage and leads you to noble thoughts (ergo noble actions) but a vulgar comfort that makes me feel loved at the present moment the way I want to be loved.

Which is why I am drinking hot chocolate in a cafe when I should be scanning in The Elements of Old English back at my dorm room.

2 comments:

Le Quill said...

I haven't read Augustine's Confessions, but I have read OF them. He was a revolutionary thinker.

I think hot cocoa anywhere is a good thing. Can you not scan your book and drink cocoa at the same time?

Anonymous said...

:(
Don't be lonely. I think about you everyday. Be good.

Gee-off