Thursday, November 18

it wasn't her wit that was askew, or was it?

I can't find as much alliteration in this except for a repeat of vowel sounds. There were a few lines; "Saint Stephen was stoned", "body and blood", and one longer passage I will recount in the following:

"Eighthly, he asked me if I did not think that private masses did help souls departed. And [I] said it was great idolatry to believe more in them than in the death which Christ died for us."

There were plenty of antitheses, though; I found three in one paragraph.

" . . . He asked me wherefore I said that I had rather read five lines in the Bible than to hear five masses in the temple. [...] Not for the dispraise of either the Epistle or Gospel, but because the one did greatly edify me and the other nothing at all."

The narrative style is more like Margery Kempe in tone, but clever and slightly saucy--it definitely comes straight off of spoken English. She seems to give more straight facts in an almost concise detailed account of who came and went and exactly what the process was like except that she does not show fear in her narrative and therefore evoke pity for the poor woman in jail.

No comments: